For so long, my favorite national holiday has been my birthday, closely followed by Jesus's, then maybe Arbor Day rounding out the top 3. (Seriously, anyone who has celebrated my birthday with me, or as I like to call it, the month of June, knows what's up.)
Sadly, Arbor Day, or another less significant day of the year is being pushed aside in favor of Carnaval. Now, I could go into a long history lesson that is copied and pasted off of Wikipedia, but what it comes down to is an excuse for the men of Spain to dress in drag. There is also singing, banging on drums, and a LOT of confetti all over the ground. Throwing in the Spanish obsession with catching cancer, ie cigarettes, I would think Carnaval is also a serious fire hazard. But also just a really, really good time.
This makes me realize that I really, really need to get to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, Carnaval's red headed stepchild (Which reminds me: Hey Char! How's Korea?) of a celebration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment