So, today I felt like I betrayed my Boston roots a little. That’s right, I was complimented on having a very easy accent to understand- because of my LACK of American accent.
You know what that means. I’ve found my R’s. No longer do I pahk my cah, now I can go to Harrrrvarrrrd Yarrrrrrd and leave the Corolla there (Really, I am in Spain and never go to Harvard Yard, or for that matter, drive anywhere. But that is entirely besides the point of this post).
Living in Andalusia, I am told all the time that “if you can speak Andalusian Spanish, you can speak Spanish anywhere”. The reason for this is that most of the time, in Andalusia, people get tired or take a mini-siesta about half or 3/4 of the way through a word and move on to the next word. I think it also due to the reason of exhaustion that they speak so quickly- POR FAVORRRR, let this conversation be over soon. Now, everywhere I go, I wave my invisible American flag, making it painfully clear that I AM NOT SPANISH. And when I speak English to Spainards I speak as slowly as possible and enunciate e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e l-e-t-t-e-r. How is that they can not slow down or maybe, I don’t know, finish a word? Gra... Graci... oh, you mean Gracias? Sorry that you had to overexert yourself. Take tomorrow off.
I just went to the Oficina de Extranjeros on Monday to FINALLY, FINALLY get my residency permit (Whoops, did I overstay my 30 days?). Imagine being Spanish and going to the DMV. It doesn’t matter how often, or in what language, you beg, “por favor, mas despacio”... nahhht gonna happen. Especially frustrating was when finally, after using hand signals, smoke signals, and pictionary, I was able to understand what was going on- then learning that the man spoke enough English to convey his point. Come on, pal, help an extranjero out, your accent is unbelievably hard to understand.
That’s not to say that I do not have some speaking fails in the classroom. Something that I never noticed about American accents is how similar our T’s and D’s are. For example, I am asked how old I am: “twenty-two”. But really, we pronounce it “twenny-two”. Always good for a laugh is me pronouncing absolutely any Spanish word- today my best joke was attempting to say “Malagueta”. Hey kid, I know you are very leeetle, but your English accent isn’t the best I’ve ever heard, so cut me some slack, ¿vale?
I realize this post sounds overly harsh, but to tell the truth I had a few of the most productive days ever here. First, I am in fact legally here, for a year or so (not sure how long a permiso de estancia for estudiantes is valid for). Second, I was able to open a bank account. Now, I can get paid for hanging out with the niños. And, I am fairly proud of myself for having an easy accent to understand.
Now....... if...... only...... people..... at..... home.... won’t....... judge.... me.... when.... I.... talk..... like..... this.......
¿Entiendes?

No comments:
Post a Comment