22.12.09

i accidentally taught my kids bad words again :(

Well, we had a nice little class on the present continuous tense the other day with my 3rd year students (in the 15 year old age group). Basically, for those of you English speaking folks who forgot this tense - and shame on you! - after I looked it up in a book, I found out that it is like when you say "If I am _____ present tense verb then I will _____ future." 


So I decided that I would teach them by having them form a chain of sentences using the present continuous. Por ejemplo:


"If I am happy, I will spend time with my friends."
"If I am spending time with my friends, we will go to the movies."
"If we are going to the movies, we will see New Moon." (OMG! LOLZ... Luna Nueva is all the rage right now.)


Or something lame like that. 


However, I forgot to take into account that I was giving 15 year old students free rein with a very, very open-ended assignment. So, as we progressed through the class (which, by the way, was kind of hilarious), I would be writing the words that they were unfamiliar with on the board. By the end of the class, I had written:


drug addict
insane asylum
to divorce
to commit suicide
escape (from prison)


And various other essential, everyday words to communicate. Ahhh, the holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment