5.12.09

sin asunto



Know how I know my Spanish is improving? Sometimes, when thinking about a night out, I can’t distinguish whether I was speaking English or Spanish with someone. Maybe that has more to do with the chupitos de algo deliciosos though. But I did recently have a conversation in Spanish about the difference between American and British English. Went something like this... but in Spanish: 


Hombre: No, no, no British English is better.
Yo: (trying to be diplomatic and not immediately point out that America is the ONLY superpower in the world) It’s not better... its different. Like South American Spanish and Spanish Spanish.
Hombre: Yes and Spanish is better here than in South America. Because Spanish started here, and its the same ... You know you used to be owned by Britain, right?
Yo: No shit, we used to be part of Britain. (Didn’t say that, but thanks for the history lesson, pal.) But then we had a revolution and won, so we are definitely better. 


This is a huge improvement from, “Hola! Que hora es?” aka all the Spanish that I remembered from Araujo’s Spanish class. 



No comments:

Post a Comment