4.12.09

No pasa? Nada.

So, since I am, ya know, a teacher here, I figured three months in was when I should have the education system of Spain explained to me. (I’ve actually had it explained to me several times, just never in English... it was always a gray area, at best.)


Obviously, these niños go through primary school until twelve or so, then go onto secondary school. Secondary school, where I teach the little angelitos, is from twelve until sixteen. Then they go to bachillerato (this word is harder to pronounce than catedral) for two years. Now, what was just explained to me is that the first year of bachillerato is like high school in America. I think. But this is only for the kids who are trying to go to college... 


This is where it gets interesting. Apparently, the second year of bachillerato is pretty much comprised entirely of studying for some exam- no idea the name of it. This exam seems to me to be similar to the SAT, in that it covers different subjects and is necessary to get into college. It’s different from the SAT because kids can take it only once and it basically determines their entire course in life. 


Depending on the grade they get determines the major that they can enter into in college. Think about if you’re a shitty test taker (or just happen to bomb this ONE exam) and your score was low, and all you have EVER wanted to do in life is become a doctor... well, that sucks. From my understanding, you can never retake this exam so if you screw this one up, well I hope you’re satisfied with going to college to become a mailman. 


This explains so much about the abundance of street performers in Spain. Also, after learning about this exam, I have toned down my loud explanations of how college in Spain is free.



This chick probably can't even read, now she pours water dressed as a golden fairy. Life Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment