23.3.10

que es la diferencia entre....

Today, we had a talk about what the precious children were doing for Semana Santa. Semana Santa means Holy Week, otherwise known as the week prior to Easter, otherwise known as that time my parents abandoned me 4 years ago. Thanks Mom & Dad, still working on my own viaje a Irlanda.

Anyways, Easter is a BIG DEAL here. They have the week off school, most importantly. And every discoteca is open every night of the week, for religious reasons, of course. There are long processional marches and they recently put up three huge sets bleachers along the main road (significant because I didn't know they were there until my walk to school- its a small surprise) for people to watch. The city is inundated with tourists, and yes, I can say this derisively, as I have lived here for nearly 7 months.

But today we discussed the differences between the nazarenos and the KKK in class. First let's play "can you see 7 differences in these pictures?":



If the only difference you could see was that the first group of people were pyromaniacs and the bottom picture is more fashion forward with the green and white- you win! 

Religious statement or just overly fond of pointy hats, I won't be trusting these nazarenos for a second. Gonna be sleeping with one eye open next week, that's for sure.  

Well, never mind, the discotecas will be open, so I just won't sleep at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment