17.3.10

what's next, paparazzi?

Seriously, being an American teacher in Spain is THECLOSEST I will ever come to fame. I know it, I accept it, I'm embracing it.


The other day, I was in the hall heading to teach some science. (Okay, pronouncing words like "photosynthesis" and "chlorophyll". Just some plant kingdom review, no pasa nada.)  A little girl who is not in any of my classes starts screaming at me, "HEY! HELLO! WHAT'S YOUR NAME?!!!!!"


Clearly, she was just showing off her English proficiency for the benefit of her friends. To her surprise, I stopped and said, "My name is Jacqui, and yours?"


She said something in Spanish, I think maybe Maria José. Slight tangent: Why do we not name girls Mary Joseph? I think it's pretty catchy. It's not like the whole using boys names for girls isn't spreading like wildfire anyways, hmmm sister-who-shall-remain-unnamed?


I said, "Okay, well it was nice to meet you. Have a good day."


And the normal response I received: "OKAY I LOVE YOU!!!!"


Thank you, new friend. I expect at the VERY LEAST the same outpouring of enthusiasm upon my return to los estados unidos. If not, what the hell is my incentive?












Oh right.... Buffalo wings from Casey's.



No comments:

Post a Comment