18.5.10

vooooooolcaaaaaanooooo (like how they say it at the rainforest cafe)

So in my 22 (almost 23, sadface) years of existence, I have never once thought of volcanoes. Of course, as I type this, I realize that for the very first time I accidentally lied to my faithful followers. There was that time, freshman year of college, when I took The Ocean Planet, thinking that it was all about the ocean and sharks and scary fish that I never want to think about while swimming. Unfortunately, 97% of the Earth is covered in water, thus giving it the nickname "the Ocean Planet". So that was a class filled with tectonic plates and natural disasters and overall boredom.

If we can move past my accidental white lie, I suppose I can rephrase to say that volcanoes have never before affected my life. And while I haven't had a Pompeii-like experience, I am flying to London on Friday and getting a bit nervous about this damn nube de ceniza over Europe preventing me from my vacation from my vacation.

Luckily, I try to keep up with world news when I'm not at the beach (spectacular weather, by the by). And this morning, I read that they will be lowering the safety restrictions because otherwise flights will be horrifically backlogged. I forwarded it along with my flight information to my mom, because I like for her to know at what time I will be departing and arriving in a country, especially if I'm flying on a less-safe airplane. It's for her peace of mind.

So, cross your fingers that this ash cloud drifts back to Iceland or Norway, or somewhere that no one cares to fly to.

No comments:

Post a Comment