11.5.10

what a great day to try to read the paper

Every morning on calle Larios (and by street, I mean ice skating rink because it rained this morning), there are people that pass out free fake newspapers with about one important story and 6 pages of H&M bathing suit ads. This morning I accepted the reputable and esteemed 20 Minutos (I don´t speak Spanish and could have finished it in 5).

So I cracked it open on my commute along the Mediterranean, while listening to Rodney Atkins, which is really just a huge mishmash of informacion for me to process. So when I saw the article about the 16 year old trapped in the body of an infant, well I had to take a minute. My exact response was to close the paper, then re-open all 6 sheets of newsprint, just to see if I processed it correctly. This story alone could have made my morning or the local circus freak show...

But no, I forged ahead, and made it to the sports section. And there, my morning was made, with a photo of "el bateador Kevin Youkilis". That´s right, the Medias Rojas, or the Red Sox, as their uniforms state (but maybe they will pull a "Los Suns" soon?) made an appearance in the Spanish newspaper.

The best part was the caption. Paraphrasing, the point of the story was to comment on the fact that the Sox were using pink bats to honor the madres. However, the photo was in black and white. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment