First, my roommate comes out of her room, dressed (claro que si) to the nines. I ask her where she's headed and she replies, "a football game." Immediately, I think to myself, "OMG TOM BRADY." Then I had to slowly, painfully backtrack my brain and realize: We are not in America. Football is not football. In fact, here in Spain, football is fútbol and that does not even mean fútbol americano. Once I realized that she was not going to see the Pats play at Gillette, I realized what today was.
THE SEMI-FINAL GAME OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.
FC BARCELONA
(MY "HOME" TEAM. SET ME ON DEFAULT FAN MODE.)
vs.
INTER-SOMEONE
(THEY ARE FROM ITALY. PROBABLY CUTER THAN BARCA.)
Then, I remembered that I could not care less. We don't have a TV en casa, and if I tried to go to a bar to watch, I would probably change 90 minutes of soccer into a drinking game, and most likely I would be turning my long weekend into a longer one. Needless to say, I am not watching the game and instead catching up on my ch131.
But really, could we Americans be any more obnoxious? Football, perdoneme, soccer is the most watched sport in the world. Meanwhile, baseball is America's national past-time, unless it has been surpassed by football, but baseball already claimed the catchy slogan. I HAD TO EXPLAIN HOW BASEBALL IS PLAYED - POORLY - TO MY STUDENTS. Like, you know, its the one with the bats... and the ball... they have to run in a diamond shaped... you are wearing a hat with an interlocking N and Y... (gross.)
Explaining to foreigners how soccer ranks in popularity - I usually say fútball americano, beísbol, baloncesto, hockey.... y fútbol - causes their jaws to drop. Recently, I was talking with a colleague (am I old enough to have colleagues?) and he was simply shocked that I did not care in the least about American soccer. "But, you have won some important games lately... but... you are improving greatly... wait, what's this baseball shit again?"
I kind of forget my point to this post. Maybe that while most malaguenos are cheering (or rooting against FC Barca... Must be Madrid fans, because Malaga CF is utterly irrelevant) in bars or at home, I am writing a blog about how little we care about football. I wonder who is having a better time?
No comments:
Post a Comment