18.4.10

going green.... grudgingly.

My father, the guy you see riding his bike along I-93S in rush hour traffic and who takes entirely too much joy out of ripping two-ply napkins in half, will certainly be proud of his favorite daughter. 


I am very reluctantly, by which I mean entirely against my will, becoming more environmentally friendly. The Corolla has been sitting in the driveway for the past seven months in the Bay State, while I walking to the bus stop and then commuting with my fellow Spaniards. Save that gasoline. Granted, when I get a ride to school, it takes NINE minutes to get there. That whole walk then bus then walk thing takes a solid hour. Does it really matter if we save gas for future generations? Do I care about pollution? The world is going to end in 2012 anyways. And if that happens, I would prefer to get 51 extra minutes of sleep every day, then worry about fossil fuels. Yawn. 


And then the bombonas and shower issue: In Sevilla, we were forewarned that it is very uncommon to take a shower more than once a day in Spain. There are severe drought issues that Spain encounters basically every year except for this one. (Yes, we are back to overcast and thunderstorms in the AM here on the Costa del Sol.) Showers are kept short, to say the least. 


Now with our lack of hot water, my showers are borderline nonexistent. While this is absolutely disgusting, at least it has some people in Spain respecting my personal space. Por fin. As it has been nearly a week without hot water, I have caved in on two occasions and visited friends to use their hot water. Though they do not use bombonas and have an actual hot water heater, there is still a 7 minute cap on showers before the temperature drops. 


My point? I really don't want to hear ANYTHING about me leaving the air conditioner on all summer. I've done my part for the environment. Good riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment